Exploring Mesa Verde Country and Utah
Plan to stay a few days! We'll even help you plan your day trips when you call us at 970-570-9520.
Mesa Verde Country includes
Mesa Verde National Park
Anasazi Heritage Center Museum
Hovenweep National Monument
Crow Canyon Archaelogical Center
Cortez Cultural Center
Ute Mountain Tribal Park
Four Corners Monument
Utah - 120 miles from Cortez (2 hour drive)
Arches National Park
Canyonlands by night - a must see, dinner served
Outdoor Fun in Southwest Colorado
- Hiking - mountains, canyons, high desert, Mesa Verde National Park
- Fishing, Boating, Waterskiing on Lake McPhee
- (second largest lake in Colorado)
- Rafting on the Dolores River
- Jeeping - on the roads, or over the mountains
- Golf - a beautiful 18 hole golf course with views of the mountains
- Horseback Riding - overnight, half-day, or 2 hour rides available
- Nature Preserves - Mesa Verde and many more!
While exploring our town you'll find City Park with its tennis courts, walking paths and picnic areas. The Cortez Recreation Center is open 7 days a week and offers a Competition Lap Pool, 1/16 mile jogging track, a rock climbing wall, full fitness area, a family swimmng pool with a kiddy-sized tube slide, a resistance pool, a 145 foot long enclosed water slide, racquetball courts, and a full gymnasium with 6 basketball courts. The Cortez Cultural Center has free Native American Dances in full costume every evening as well as local cultural and art exhibits.
- San Juan Skyway - called America's "Most Beautiful Drive". The fall colors are AWESOME! Takes about six hours to complete the circle, returning to The Jolly Rancher.
- Elk and Mule Deer Hunting - some of the biggest and best trophy animals. Our cabins are just right for hunters.
Lots of Unique Western Fun, Too!
- Horseback Rides and Horse Pack Trips - local
- Stagecoach and Wagon Rides - 20 minutes away
- Western Stage Show with Chuckwagon Style Dinners - at the Bar-D Chuckwagon in Durango, 1 hour away
- Ute Mountain Casino - 15 minutes away
- Shopping for American Indian Arts and Jewelry is at its finest in Cortez - Good Prices!
For more information about the Cortez area, write the Cortez Visitors Information Bureau at P.O. Box HH, Cortez, CO 81321 or call 1-800-253-1616 (USA and Canada)